WHAT IS THE LEDES OVERSIGHT COMMITTEE?
OUR MISSION STATEMENT:
The LEDES™ (Legal Electronic Data Exchange Standard) Oversight Committee (“LOC”) is an international, voluntary, not-for-profit organization comprised of legal industry representatives and is charged with creating and maintaining open standard formats for the electronic exchange of billing and other information between corporations and law firms. The LOC is dedicated to using open standards which cater to no one organization or group of organizations to uniformly satisfy the complex needs of the legal industry based on 5 basic principles: keep it simple; make it unambiguous; diverge from existing formats as little as absolutely necessary; only ask for information the law firm is typically able to provide from their financial system; and meet the needs of corporations, law firms and legal industry software vendors to the maximum extent possible consistent with the first four criteria.
LEDES Oversight Committee Membership includes a variety of benefits.
- Awareness of emerging standards and worldwide developments within the industry
- Optional, voluntary involvement in standards creation/maintenance sub-committees
- Ability to review and feedback on standards creation and/or maintenance prior to ratification
- Propose new standards and recommend improvements to those that exist
- Ability to vote on initiatives presented to the membership
- Invitations to the bi-annual LEDES Oversight Committee meetings
- Participation in local LEDES Oversight Committee meetings
- Dialogue with and feedback to the LEDES Oversight Committee Board
- Peer-to-peer networking, sharing and learning opportunities
Additionally, the LEDES.org website is a repository of information on all existing and proposed LEDES standards. Standards documentation can be downloaded and a blog includes topical items of interest. A discussion forum will soon be in operation.
In a recent survey by the Board 64% of members agreed that the value experienced accurately reflects the annual membership fee and 24% agreed that the value experienced exceeds the annual membership fee.
In 2016 LEDES Membership changed to membership by individual whereas past membership was by organization.
- Membership is no longer tied to employment by a LEDES member organization and follows an individual as they change jobs.
- All members are voting members whereas in the past only one voting member was allowed per organizational member.
The cost of annual membership is $95 USD per individual member, and will need to be renewed yearly on the anniversary of your payment.